SALARY: $18.00-$22.00/hour OPENING DATE: 3/28/2023
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Interested parties who meet the qualifications must submit a District application. Resumes alone will not be accepted, but may be included with application. To obtain an application or to apply online, please visit our website www.shastamosquito.org/employment. Apply online, or submit by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach the application materials as a Word or PDF file with the job title in the subject line.
The position of Seasonal Vector Assistant is a temporary position which requires candidates to be available to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. The term of the position is anticipated to begin in April and is expected to go through the end of September. The term and scheduled days or hours may be increased or decreased depending upon the needs of the program and department. This position will be limited to work no more than 1,000 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Under the direction of the District Manager and the direct supervision of the Operations Manager and/or Scientific Operations Manager, the SVA carries out routine assignments and related operations at SMVCD. The SVA carries out assignments, the details of which have been planned and organized by persons working at a higher level. These assignments may include working as part of a vector crew, as part of lab staff, or other work as directed.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position. You could be assigned to the Field Operations division or the Laboratory.
Field/Operations Seasonal Staff:
- Under direction of the Operations Manager or Field Supervisor inspect and treat designated locations for mosquito reduction; such as catch basins, ditches, and flood control channels.
- Work as part of a crew covering marshes, ponds, and river isolations, etc. Keep assigned equipment in working Report deficiencies in equipment, and problems to the supervisor.
- Keep records of work accurate and timely.
- Under direction of the Operations Manager or Field Supervisor conduct field and laboratory studies of mosquitoes and other vectors, vector-borne diseases, pesticides or other products.
- Must act in a professional and courteous manner at all times when interacting with the Keep simple daily operations records, including inventory.
- Utilize computer and computer software including MS Outlook, Word, and Excel. Work in extreme weather conditions, high temperatures, and various rough terrain.
Laboratory Seasonal Staff:
- As directed, conduct field and laboratory studies of mosquitoes and other vectors, vector-borne diseases, pesticides or other products.
- Must always act in a professional and courteous manner when interacting with the public.
- Utilize computer and computer software including MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Work in extreme weather conditions, high temperatures, and various rough terrain.
- Under direction of the Scientific Operations Manager perform duties related to the District’s mosquito surveillance program which would include but not be limited to, setting up various types of traps, maintaining traps, processing collections, entering data and assisting in any other relevant laboratory work as directed.
- Assist in the maintenance of vector colonies, biological control agents, sentinel birds, or other related colonies; collects dead bird specimens for testing as submitted by the public; uses microscopes in counting and sorting field collection samples by sex and species.
- Capability to read and write in English. Work dependably and cooperatively with others. Maintain and appreciate safety Learn to operate specialized equipment and to exercise independent judgment.
- Standard vehicle operations including observing legal and defensive driving practices.
- Perform general work and learn the specific operations of the office.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with the public and fellow employees.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Education or training which demonstrate the abilities to perform the above requirements.
Graduation of High School or the G.E.D. equivalent.
Physical Demands and Essential Duties
- Lifting- Performs work which involves frequent lifting, pushing and/or pulling of objects approximately 50 or fewer pounds. Heavier lifting is an infrequent aspect of this class.
- Other conditions- Incumbent(s) may be exposed to and handle toxic and hazardous substances, be available for evening and weekend emergencies, as assigned, travel within and out of the county; work, when necessary in inclement weather exposed to sun, cold, and rain; work in high risk neighborhoods with potential exposure to uncooperative persons and dog (animal) bites.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
- Operate specialized vector control equipment.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license; must qualify for insurance coverage by the District’s insurance carrier.
- California Code of Regulations, Title 3, Article 2, Section 6722 requires that in order to mix and load toxic chemicals, employees must be at least 18 years old.
Post-Offer Physical Examination: A qualified physician must certify that a candidate is physically able to perform the duties of the position and is free of illegal substances as determined by a drug screen. The post-offer physical examination and drug screen shall be performed by a qualified medical doctor and/or laboratory as designated by the District and all costs shall be paid by the District.
Post-Offer Background Investigation: A thorough background investigation will be conducted by an investigator designated by the District and all costs shall be paid by the District.
Until the candidate successfully completes and satisfies the requirements of the post-offer physical exam and background investigation, all employment offers are conditional and not guaranteed.